Wednesday 18 May 2011

My Quarter Life Crisis

How is it , that the transformation from ones adolescence to full fledged adulthood can be so....daunting? The what and where and WHO you want to be, becomes more of a reality. There are questions, doubts and insecurities that attack us...leading to what can only be termed as, a profound internal struggle.


When I was little, I remember trying on my Mother's high heels and pearls and strutting around the house showing off. My Father would look at me and frown. ' I cant wait to grow up Daddy!', I remember myself saying. He'd smile and explain to me, that life is way more simple and fun when you are younger. Of course that made no sense to me. With every bad dream or scraped knee, I'd go running to my parents; one big hug and kiss and........ candy bar later, life was good again! I was back on my feet, running around the play ground, without a care in the world!


Sadly, candy bars no longer bring refuge. In fact I've been asked to lay off them by my dermatologist, as excess sugar is not good for my complexion. True story!

So what does bring refuge then?This............ the heroic tales and stories brimming with inspiration.Your teachers, your work colleague, your girlfriends, your driver, your hairstylist ....the size zero model staring back at you on the cover of this month's Vogue, have all been through.......... 'Struggle'! In some shape or form. Which leads me to believe...that feeling lost, vulnerable, clueless, insecure and anxious are completely normal human emotions. Overcoming the 'struggle', includes discovering your own strength and ability to rise above whatever predicaments life throws at you and bouncing back on your feet, just as you did when you were a child. After all life is your playground, so run far and wide.



                                                           Light. Love .Magic . xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment